Sunday, July 14, 2013

Wine Wars at Max's Wine Dive

Your friendly neighborhood wine blogger was recently invited to participate in "Wine Wars" at Max's Wine Dive.  I wasn't sure what Wine Wars consisted of but it had the word "wine" in it so I was IN!

I had read about Max's Wine Dive but this was my first time to visit.  Arriving by 5:45, I found the place pretty empty.  It was, however, a Tuesday.  I took a seat at the bar to review the menu and get the feel for the place.  Loved this flag on the wall:



I immediately noticed that one of my favorite wines, Cedar Knoll, was on the wine list.  I NEVER find this wine in Dallas.  Yes, I was now impressed.  You can read my review of Cedar Knoll and its winery, Palmaz, here.


As the event began, the place started to fill up with diners.  There was a large party of some sort that began to gather in the back.  By the time I left, the place was rockin'.  (Did I mention it was a Tuesday?)  Andrew Chalk from CraveDFW was there with his lovely wife to participate in Wine Wars.  His review is here.  

The crowd was a mix - 20 somethings up to couples in their 50's.  The menu looked terrific - chicken, some macaroni and cheese dish that likely caused me to gain 5 lbs simply by reading the description, a fried egg sandwich, shrimp and grits.  I made a mental note to come back for dinner ASAP.  (NOTE:  They serve brunch on the weekends and the menu looks phenomenal.)  


Wine Wars is held every other Tuesday beginning at 6 pm.  8 wines are up for a blind tasting - 4 white and 4 red.  Each participant chooses their favorite red and favorite white.  Winning wines advance to the next level the following week.  

Not being the great lover of white wine, I still took my job as "judge" seriously.  We started with a fruity white that I mistook for a Sauvignon Blanc.  It was dry, crisp and perfect for a hot Texas day by the pool.  I was ready to buy a case.  This wine was actually a French Marsanne/Viognier blend made exclusively for Max's.  You can buy it to drink there or take some home.  It's called Chez Jerome and my recommendation is to BUY.  

White wine #2 was a tart Sauvignon Blanc (got it right this time).  I think it was called New Harbor.  Not my favorite but pretty good.

White wine #3 was a Russian River Valley Chardonnay out of Sonoma that was not too buttery.  Not being a Chardonnay fan, I could drink it if it was the only option I had.  This was the Newton Chardonnay.

White wine #4 was a super buttery California Chard that I couldn't drink.  My least favorite wine in the world so it's not even fair for me to review it.  One sniff and I new exactly what it was and that it wasn't for me.  

I voted for white wine #1.  

Next up - RED WINE!

Red wine #1 was a tricky one.  It turned out to be a Cabernet/Merlot blend called Retrospect but I did not recognize it as a Cab.  Unusual wine but dry and I liked it.  

Red wine #2 was a jammy wine much sweeter than wine #1.  Several of the judges really liked it.  It was revealed to be Rare Vineyards Syrah.

Red wine #3 was immediately identifiable as a Syrah.  It turned out to be Cotes du Rhone Syrah/Granache blend.    

Red wine #4 fooled me.  I wrote "Cab?" but it was actually a Zin.  I was surprised because I love Zin and this just didn't grab me.  It's called Guard Shack Zin.  

I would highly recommend that the Dallas folks consider attending Wine Wars one Tuesday evening.  Check the website for dates and ticket information.  At $15/person, it's a great deal.  

No comments:

Post a Comment